欢迎来到慕课网

英语美文:大家都是地球妈妈的小孩

来源:www.igaiz.com 2023-06-21

It was a few years ago.

这是几年前的事情。

A friend had sent me a restaurant gift card for Christmas

一个朋友送给我一张餐厅礼品券作为圣诞的礼物。

and I had picked a pretty, sunny Sunday afternoon to use it.

我选择了一个美好,阳光灿烂的周日下午用它。

It felt good

这种感觉真好

taking my two grown sons and daughter

携带我长大成人的儿子和女儿

to a nice sit-down restaurant

来到一个非常棒的堂食餐厅

instead of the fast food places we usually ate at.

而不是大家平常常常去的那种速食站

The meal was delicious

食物非常可口

and we all had a good time

大家度过了一段愉快的时光

just being together.

仅仅由于大家在一块这就足已

When the waitress brought the check

当酒保把账单递给我时

I looked down at it.

我低头看了一眼

The gift card covered almost all of it.

礼品券几乎抵消了全部的成本

I reached into my wallet

我拿出钱包

to get enough cash to cover the rest.

想取出现金支付剩余的成本

I saw two bills in the front of it.

我在钱包里发现了两张支票

The first would cover the rest of the bill

第一张可以支付剩余的餐费

and give the waitress a nice tip.

还可以给酒保一份丰厚的小费

The second bill was much larger

第二张支票的数额比第一张大得多

 so I reached down to pick out the first one.

所以我躬身先拿出了第一张

At that moment

在这一刻

my mind flashed back to 30 years before.

我的思绪回到了三十年前

I was working as a [en]busboy

in a restaurant[/en]

那时我在一家餐厅当勤杂工

much like the one we were in now.

那家餐厅与大家目前身处的餐厅十分类似

It was long hours of hard work for low pay.

那时我终日干活,工作艰辛,报酬却非常低

I went home

下班回家时

just barely making enough to feed my young family.

所挣的钱只能刚刚够养活我的老婆和幼小的小孩

I also remembered

我还记得

how more than once I saw the waitresses counting their [en]meager

tips[/en]

自己怎么样眼巴巴的看着其他员工清点微薄的小费,不只一次

while worrying about

同时替她们担忧

how they were going to pay the rent

这类钱怎么才能付清房租

 and buy their kids the things they needed.

还要为她们的小孩购买所需要的生活用品

I remembered the pain in their eyes

我记得她们眼中的苦痛

and saw the sadness in their faces at the end of the day.

一天结束时,我总看到她们脸上携带哀愁

I blinked

我眨了眨双眼

and was back in the present

思绪回到现实

again

再一次

my fingers touching the smaller bill in my wallet.

我的手指轻轻爱抚着钱包里那张金额小一些的支票

I smiled,

我微笑

pushed it back down,

把它放回钱包

and picked out the much larger bill.

拿起那张金额大得多的支票

I folded it around the gift card

我把它折起来,用它包住礼品券

and covered both of them with the check.

把它们都藏在账单里

As we all got up from the table

大家从桌前起身

I handed them to the hard working waitress.

我把它们交给了那位正在辛勤干活的员工

“You keep the change.”

不需要找了

I said with a smile and a happy heart.

我说时,脸上挂着微笑,内心充满幸福

We are all one family in this world.

在这个世界上,大家都是一个大伙庭的成员

We are all children of the same earth.

大家都是地球妈妈的小孩

We live together, rejoice together, and suffer together.

大家生息与共,欢乐与共,患难与共

Do your best to be kind then.

所以请尽量的友善吧

Do your best to be a good person

尽全力让自己成为一个好人

and loving child of nature.

成为自然妈妈的充满爱的小孩

Do your best to replace the suffering with joy.

尽你所能,叫人类的苦痛变成欢乐吧

相关文章推荐

08

16

|人往高处走

What did you want to be when you were growing up? A teacher? A doctor? An astronaut? What do you need to do to achieve y

08

16

|Youth 青春

Youth A Poem by Samuel Ullman青春塞缪尔厄尔曼(王佐良 译)Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of ro

08

16

|外国网友的一些shower thoughts

| 1 |When youre a kid, you dont realize youre also watching your mom and dad grow up.你小的时候意识不到自己也在看着(年轻的)爸爸妈妈成长。| 2 |It

08

16

|为何聪明人话都少?

Why are some very smart people so quiet?为何有的聪明人非常安静?Smart people are quiet because they are smart, very smart, and supre

08

14

英语美文:幸福是一段旅程

We always convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frust

08

13

有关运动的英语文章

现在,高中生举行有关课后activities.there不一样的建议是两个完全不一样的phenomenonena。 有的学生对体育和其他一些activities.they加入花不少时间在户外活动的疯狂和不同群体,而且,作出新的friends

08

13

英语美文:换个角度看世界 叫你独一无二

有时候你只须是想一试,大家都可以做到甘地和德兰修女那种地步。记者将这十种方法对你说,相信只须你在日常合理运用,必然会有所得。

08

13

英语美文:天天早上都该告诉我们的8件事

8 Things You Should Tell Yourself Every Day in The Morning!天天早上都该告诉我们的8件事“早上好!”是天天都在说的话,但你是什么感觉呢?你真的感觉天天早上都非常不错?为了更好、更快乐

08

11

霍金现身英国奥斯卡 众星排队求见

There may have been a glittering array of Hollywood stars at the BAFTAs on Sunday night, but the man everyone wanted to

08

07

英语美文摘抄:英语美文摘抄别样的青春

Man’s Youth 别样的青春By Thomas WolfeMan's youth is a wonderful thing: it is so full of anguish and of magic and he never com